Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat
Symbol of the Government of Canada

ARCHIVED - Policies and Guidelines for Ministers' Offices - Archived

Warning This page has been archived.

Archived Content

Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. It has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats on the "Contact Us" page.

Appendix D: Letter from the Minister of Finance to Cabinet Ministers, December 1963

Ottawa, December 5, 1963.


Dear Mr.

The Cabinet discussed at a recent meeting the manner in which Ministers should account for moneys advanced and expended for travelling on official business.

In accordance with the decisions reached as a result of our discussions, I would ask that in the future you account for moneys advanced to cover travelling expenses by submitting for each trip a statement under two headings:

(a) transportation expenses (if any); and

(b) other expenses.

The statement should also include the period covered by the trip and the places visited.

The statement, which should be sent to your Chief Treasury Officer, should be certified by you as follows:

"I certify that the foregoing expenditures have been incurred by me on official business."


The difference between the amount of the advance and the amount covered by your certificate should be returned to your Chief Treasury Officer in the form of cash or your personal cheque.

    Yours sincerely,

    (Sgd.) W. L. Gordon.